HPI Racing Cup Racer Carrera
HPI Racing are very proud to introduce the fabulous Cup Racer kit from HPI, with a bodyshell replicating one of the legends of classic motorsports history: the 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR! The Cup Racer combines amazing features and racing spec in true-to-scale one-tenth size, in what we call ‘True Ten’ design! With the HPI True Ten performance chassis, you have the opportunity to experience the joy of owning a super-realistic representation of some of the most legendary sports cars ever made.
Incredible attention to detail and scale realism makes the HPI Porsche 911 Carrera RSR body a true replica of the car that defined sports car racing for a generation of fans. Originally unleashed in 1972, the ultra-lightweight 911 Carrera RS 2.7 was homologated for racing use and released for racing as the RSR version in the Group 4 GT racing class. In 1973 the new RSR version was released, based on the 911 S which had won the Monte Carlo Rally and designed to take on cars with engines twice as strong.
The engine was increased in size to 2.8 litres, and the screaming flat-six ‘boxer’ engine pushed out 300hp at 8,000 RPM, proving to be the ideal match for the nimble 911 chassis. The potent combination of a lightweight chassis fitted with a powerful engine proved to be unbeatable in the hands of the right drivers, and the production-based Carrera RSR 2.8 won several of the highest-profile races of the mid-1970’s ahead of prototype cars from Ferrari, Ford and Maserati, including its race debut at the Daytona 24hrs as well as the Sebring 12hrs and the iconic Targa Florio – sealing its place in motorsport history.
Ultimate Scale Realism
The concept behind the Cup Racer and True Ten scale is simple: to make the best-looking, most realistic car models available. To do this, the HPI body production department teamed up with our top car designers to put together the the True Ten look, which authentically reproduces actual cars in a way that makes them look exactly like the real thing. These aren’t slammed and lowered versions lookalikes designed for ultimate performance, though: the True Ten ideal is to replicate the real cars as they are in real life – in width, height, length and detail, with details so precise that real car fans wouldn’t be able to tell the difference at first glance.
The True Ten series features the most painstaking attention to detail that our designers have ever tackled. Every body line and curve from the real car is represented in the crash-resistant bodyshell. Every door line, bootlid and side skirt is represented exactly as it appears on the real car. There are even reproductions of the actual windscreen wipers, bumpers, exhaust systems and mirrors, allowing the HPI True Ten series to deliver the utmost in scale car driving.
HPI graphics designers are already legendary for producing the most accurate bodyshell graphics you can find, and when you combine that with the uniquely crystal-clear bodyshells from our body production department and the new ultra-scale accessories, you get pure scale magic.
To complete the True Ten concept, the challenge of the design team was to put the scale bodies on a chassis that is truly deserving of the ultimate scale looks. This involved a complete re-think of how scale RC cars are designed and used by today’s RC hobbyists. Scale modellers want something that just works, however experienced RC hobbyists and racers want something that can be tuned to perform. We think our guys nailed it.
Ready to Perform
Experienced RC racers will be able to take one look at the Cup Racer chassis and see for themselves the performance potential of this all-new chassis! A huge array of tuning adjustments is possible using the standard kit parts.
The Cup Racer features full-time 4WD, a super-stiff chassis, oil-filled shocks and inboard front shocks, plus as the ability to independently adjust suspension settings such as caster, camber, track width, roll centre, wheelbase, anti-dive, anti-squat, droop and much more. If you like your cars to drive as well as they look, the Cup Racer is for you.
Designed for Excellence
From the very start, the True Ten scale Cup Racer was engineered for top-level performance at a reasonable cost – while still maintaining the true-to-scale look that scale modellers desire. To accomplish this, HPI designers have taken it upon themselves to perfect concepts that long-time HPI owners may recognize, but haven’t seen in their ultimate, final form.
With the Cup Racer, you can find elements of past HPI achievements put together to make the ultimate scale RC enthusiast’s machine – ready for your hands to assemble and create the magic that is radio control modelling.
With the True Ten chassis, you will be able to fit a wide range of upcoming HPI True Ten bodyshells, as well as available bodyshells such as the popular M-chassis models. Because real cars have varying dimensions such as width, wheelbase and height, HPI designers have created the True Ten chassis to be as flexible as possible when fitting true-to-scale bodyshells.
What this means is that you can easily change the wheelbase of the car to suit short or long wheelbase cars (210mm or 225mm). Also very important is the width of the car – you will be able to incrementally widen or narrow the width of the chassis by as little as 1mm at a time, and up to 13mm per side, with a combination of hex hub adapters, spacers and offset wheels. You’ll be able to get the on-the-edge sports car look or the sedate passenger car look in a matter of minutes with the genius True Ten spacer system!
Variable Offset Wheels
To help you get a totally realistic looks, we will be offering a range of reproduction classic wheel types to suit the True Ten chassis.
Like the popular Rays TE37 replica drift wheels from HPI, the True Ten wheels will be offered in the widest selection of wheel offsets available to RC modelers: standard 0mm offset, wider 3mm offset for an extra 6mm of total width, and the 6mm deep-offset design for widening the car a full 12mm from the wheels alone.
Fits a Massive Range of Bodyshells
The True Ten chassis is designed from the ground up to be totally realistic and true to scale: true one-tenth scale! With a huge variety of real cars to choose from, plus the range of M-type bodyshells available already, we wanted to make sure that RC scale fanatics would be able to fit any available bodyshell on the chassis with a minimum of hassle.
A selection of body posts will be available to custom-fit any True Ten or M-chassis bodyshell, using a variety of body post locations. Even car designs with low-profile front ends will fit, thanks to the laydown-style front shocks! Coupe-style bodies will fit easily with the changeable rear post mount location. In short, any M-chassis bodyshell will fit, to allow you to replicate any car you like.
The front shock fitting can also be changed to a more standard upright shock setting, or a laydown configuration to help fit low-profile bodyshells.
Coming soon from HPI is an all-new selection of classic sports cars from the pages of history: cars that challenged the ideal and toppled the mightiest giants. Check back here for updates after the official kit release.
The chassis will take any stick, side-by-side or even hard-case LiPo battery packs in the uniquely cool swing-out battery tray. Standard-height servos fit in the slickly designed laydown area, and if want to fit modern low-profile servos, these will fit in a stand-up position if you choose, for a more central position in the chassis.
The Cup Racer is available in a cool drift version too. With extremely hard drift tyres and the retro Toyota Levin, you can hit the ground and get sideways in no time. The 4WD shaft drivetrain lets you maintain easy, controlled drifts on carpet, tarmac or any other surface, providing awesome thrills and loads of smiles. If you want to get sideways even easier, just add the #80588 D-Box Drift Assist system, and it will help you glide across apexes with almost no effort! The Cup Racer can be made into the circuit racer or drift show-off car you’ve always wanted.
Build It Yourself
To get the full appreciation of the design quality of any model car, you really have to build it from the ground up. By seeing how every part works in perfect harmony with the rest of the car, you will understand and truly appreciate the time and skill that went into its engineering. This is why the Cup Racer is available as a build-it-yourself kit only. With just a few tools you will build the ultimate scale model chassis, ready for display, playing about or even all-out racing.
Cool scale features:
- HPI â€˜True Ten’ design – radio-control car models closer to scale than ever before!
- Classic sports car and racer bodyshells that inspired generations of car fans
- Moulded chrome details such as windscreen wipers, mirrors, bumpers, exhaust pipes and more.
- Multiple width adjustments to fit huge range of future bodyshells:
- Hub/upright inserts
- Variable wheel hex adapters (0mm & 4mm)
- Hex adapter inserts (1mm & 2mm)
- Different offset wheels (0mm, 3mm, 6mm)
- Huge variety of body post locations to suit many different shapes of bodyshells
- Nearly infinite body post height adjustment to get perfect scale appearance
- True Ten bodies from HPI will feature chrome accents such as mirrors, exhaust, bumpers, etc.
- Any M-class body will fit (wheelbase 225mm or 210mm)
- Inboard front shocks allow fitting of future low-profile bodies
- Disc brake/rotor mounts (non-functional) for future cool upgrade
- Fits standard RC electronics for easy component choices
- Kit build – add your own electronics
- Full-time 4WD for huge levels of grip
- Upper and lower sturdy FRP chassis
- Symmetrically mounted upper deck to eliminate tweak
- Fits any 540-size motor, brushed or brushless
- Translucent cover for spur & pinion gears
- Cam-type motor mount for precise gear mesh
- Aluminium motor mount construction for secure mounting & heat dissipation
- Use any 48-pitch pinion gear
- Super-smooth rear ball diff for fantastic cornering grip
- Sealed front gear diff
- Composite rear diff outdrives for low rotating weight
- Oil-filled coil over shocks front and rear
- Front inboard shocks eliminate unsprung weight
- Standard front shock mounting possible for extra performance
- Multiple shock locations and ride height settings
- Laydown steering servo for low CG
- Fits short servo in stand-up location to move weight inboard
- Bellcrank steering for precise steering input
- Universal dogbones
- Easily adjustable camber front and rear
- Vertical camber link mounting for quick roll centre adjustment
- Variable anti-dive and anti-squat adjustments
- Race-style droop screws for tweak adjustment
- Fast-adjust caster setting
- Swing-out stick pack battery holder for fast changes
- Li-Po, NiMH stick and side-by-side battery pack capability
- Sway bar mounts front and rear for future upgradability
- Durability features:
- Thick FRP double-deck chassis is tough and strong
- Fully enclosed shaft drive for total protection
- Translucent spur/pinion gear cover keeps rocks out
- Stainless steel hinge pins with anodized aluminium braces
- Adjustable spring-loaded cam servo saver
- Steel front diff outdrives for extra durability
- Tough foam bumper secured between durable bumper mounts protects front end
- Flexible body mounts help keep body in good shape
- Rubber-sealed ball bearings for enhanced efficiency
- #100597 – Cup Racer 1M Kit With Datsun 240Z Body
- #100598 – Cup Racer 1M Kit With Datsun 510 Body
- #100599 – Cup Racer 1M Drift Kit With Toyota Levin AE86 Body
- #102075 – Cup Racer 1M Kit W/ Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 2.8
Includes clear bodyshell. Does not include electronics & radio gear. All versions come complete with comprehensive instruction manual and HPI RC Cars DVD.We are very proud to introduce the fabulous Cup Racer kit from HPI! The Cup Racer combines amazing features and racing spec in true-to-scale one-tenth size, in what we call ‘True Ten’ design! With the HPI True Ten performance chassis, you have the opportunity to experience the joy of owning a super-realistic representation of some of the most legendary sports cars ever made.
Ultimate Scale Realism
The concept behind the Cup Racer and True Ten scale is simple: to make the best-looking, most realistic car models available. To do this, the HPI body production department teamed up with our top car designers to put together the True Ten look, which authentically reproduces actual cars in a way that makes them look exactly like the real thing. These aren’t slammed and lowered versions lookalikes designed for ultimate performance, though: the True Ten ideal is to replicate the real cars as they are in real life – in width, height, length and detail, with details so precise that real car fans wouldn’t be able to tell the difference at first glance.
102075 HPI Racing Cup Racer 1M Kit with Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 2.8 Body
Source: HPI Europe