Racing At Wycombe Radio Car Club
Wycombe Radio Car Club was previously called ‘High Wycombe Ministox Club’. The original club was founded and run for many years by the late Mike Swadling. Mike built a successful and popular club up from scratch, the crowning glory of which was the move from a temporary venue in a local school canteen to the permanent venue WRCC now use.
Following Mike’s death, his daughter Michaella took over the running of the club for several years before standing down. After this the club was run by a group of long standing members and was re-named Wycombe Radio Car Club.
WRCC now boasts a membership of over 100 drivers who meet 4 times a week to race in no less than 7 different classes including;
- 1:18 micro off road buggies
- 1:12 oval (various classes)
- 1:12 electric circuit
- 1:10 touring cars.
Their current facility is a permanent venue with the following features;
- 18m x 8m fully carpeted main track area with 1.2m tall drivers rostrum and raised platform (0.3m) for disabled drivers
- Modulated track markings and removable jumps for off road cars.
- 8m x 4m fully carpeted small oval track
- Permanent pit benches and chairs with mains sockets for up to 60 drivers
- Raised race control area with AMB RC timing equipment
- Professionally supplied and installed pit area and track area PA system
- Wall mounted display screens linked to the race software
- Wi-Fi internet
- Newly installed daylight lighting
- Free-view widescreen television
- Gents & Ladies toilets
- Tea & coffee making facilities
- Professionally supplied and installed alarm system
Over the years the club has seen numerous drivers come through its doors to enjoy the facilities who have later gone on to become club, British, European and even World Champions, and many had already and continue to compete and be successful at a high level.
2010 marks the 10th anniversary of the High Wycombe club’s presence at their current venue, so they thought they would celebrate this occasion by holding a meeting to showcase the classes currently supported by the club, provide some awesome racing and give their gratitude and thanks to the drivers for supporting the club over the years.
The event is still in the very early planning stages, but the details the club have in mind are as follows;
Wycombe Radio Car Club – Champions of the Decade
Saturday 9th October – 1:18 Micro Off Road Open Meeting (all day)
Sunday 10th October – 1:12th Oval (Hot-Rods, Bangers & Historic classes) Open Meeting (all day)
Raffles on both days with awesome prizes
Good quality trophies
Local news & media interest
Industry support, coverage & event sponsorship
An entry form will be produced and published once the details (event sponsors, meeting format etc…) have been finalised in the coming weeks. If you are interested in sponsoring the meeting or providing raffle prizes then please let the club know – any help is appreciated. They will be looking to complete a full entry (60+ drivers) for both days over the weekend. Internet and magazine coverage/reports will also be produced and published before and after the event.
Visit www.wycomberacing.co.uk for further info about the club.